Information on this page:
Lachlan Shire is one of the largest local government areas of New South Wales and is well-connected, with 4,500 kilometres of roads enabling an idyllic lifestyle setting.
- Lachlan Shire sits amid two major highways leading north and south.
- The Newell Highway links Melbourne to Queensland through the Central West. The Kidman Way links the region towards Queensland and the Northern Territory.
- The Mitchell Highway sits to the north and the Lachlan Valley Way connects Condobolin and Lake Cargelligo with Forbes to the east and Hillston to the west.
- Just over 6 hours drive from Sydney.
- Competitively priced industrial land.
- Lachlan Shire is well-served by healthcare and educational providers making it the ideal place to live and work.
- Lachlan is classified as a Remote Area (RA4) by the Department of Health and Ageing. Medical professionals moving from major city areas to Lachlan may be entitled to relocation and retention benefits from the General Practice Rural Incentives Program.
Download the Lachlan Regional profile
Population – 6,748 persons live in the Lachlan region
Employment – 2,854 persons are employed
Average age – 36.6 years
Education – 39.5% of the population is Tertiary Qualified
Household Composition – 60% of families are a Couple with dependent children
Weekly Wage – $827
Median House Price – $160,000
Sources: ABS Census (2011) ERP (2013), Cat 8731, DEEWR (2014), NIEIR (2014), Housing NSW (2014)
Gross Regional Product
The Lachlan economy represents around 3% of the Central West regional economy.
The agricultural sector in Lachlan Shire is very strong, accounting for nearly a third of economic activity.
Key Industry Sectors
The largest sectors in the Lachlan economy by total output include:
- Education & Training
- Health care
|Industry Sector||GRP Value||GRP %|
|Education & training||$20.9 million||7.6%|
Sources: ABS Census (2011) ERP (2013), Cat 8731, DEEWR (2014), NIEIR (2014), Housing NSW (2014), A.P.SHEERE CONSULTING (2015)
Lachlan’s Top 5 Employers
The main industries by employment in Lachlan are:
- Health care
|Industry Sector||% Employed|
Sources: ABS Census 2011, NIEIR (2014), A.P.SHEERE CONSULTING (2015)
Businesses that have invested in Lachlan region include KBL Mining Limited – the Mineral Hill Mine, Fletchers International Exports, Paraway Pastoral Company.
The Lachlan district is a grains and livestock region. Lachlan Shire’s agricultural sector consists primarily of cereal crop production especially wheat, barley and canola, with a smaller livestock sector.
There is also a significant amount of public administration in the Lachlan Shire including Condobolin Agricultural Research Station, Central West Farming Systems, Wiradjuri Condobolin Corporation, Local Land Service- Central West, Lands Council, Western Plains Regional Development, Essential Energy and TAFE Western.
VALUE-ADDING AGRICULTURAL ACTIVITIES
Manufacturing, transport and warehousing industries could add value to the rich array of agricultural produce in the region.
EDUCATION AND HEALTH CARE
As population and the workforce increases in size, demand for these services will increase and present opportunities for business development.
- Value-adding Agricultural Activities
- Educational training facilities
- Health care facilities
Gaps in Facilities and Services
- Government services/agencies
- Health services
- Businesses: auto electricians, builders, electricians
- Occupations: nurses
Incentives and Land Availability
Local investment incentives
The Council’s Industry Incentive Policy provides assistance for businesses wishing to establish, develop or expand within Lachlan Shire. Businesses targeted include those with a manufacturing or production component, as well as businesses with a tourism focus.
Industrial Land Incentives – With a 10% deposit there is the opportunity to make four repayments over four years. Should the development be substantially complete and an Interim Occupation Certificate (IOC) issued within 18 months, the last two instalments will not be required.
Other assistance – Council will maintain awareness of available State and Government incentives and provide financial support to developers where possible.
Land availability and business locations
Industrial land lots are available for purchase in Condobolin and on the Lake Cargelligo industrial estate, and various government incentives are available.
Lachlan Shire Council
Acting Economic Development Officer – Jack Gordon
58-64 Molong St, Condobolin NSW 2877
Phone 02 6895 1969